Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our First Venture

After choking down some food from the hotel buffet we decided to venture out and see the city. I am not sure what the meaning behind some of this is. We will have to ask Peter (our guide) tomorrow.


Across from the hotel is the center square. It is a large are with lots of shade trees and large groups of family and friends just hanging out.
Here is another picture I will have to ask Peter about. From watching her, I believe she is writing some kind of prayer on the sidewalk. After she was done she knelt on a mat with her head down. I don't know... sounds good to me!!
Several people stopped by to watch the girl write on the street. I thought this guy looked cool!!
Everyone was looking at us as if we were movie stars!! I don't think they get a lot of foreigners in Xining so when someone does come they are all amazed. Little boys would yell hello across the court yard to get our attention and they would laugh and smile when we waved and said hi back. It reminded me of being a little kid and daring my cousins to do or say something silly and laughing when they did it. They were cute!

Around 14 more hours we will be on our way to meet Anna Li!!

2 comments:

Scott said...

We know how you feel about being rock stars. We are the only Westeners we have seen thus far also. It took me over 20 minutes to order room service, but the food was great. There is no one that speaks english in our hotel either, I suppose it is all part of the true experience. Lilymei is great, congrats on adopting Anna Li, good luck tomorrow. See you on Saturday. Scott, Jean, Nate, Drew and Lilymei! Stumbling around in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia!

Carol said...

It's Monday morning for you -- and I can't even concentrate enough to watch Design Star! I think if I were you I'd be about to faint! I do so hope she's thrilled when she sees y'all, and especially sees Bethany, and sees pictures of her new life. Cannot wait to hear and see pictures.