Saturday, July 26, 2008

We Arrived Safely to Xining

We are finally here and it is so beautiful!! These are some pictures I took on the way to the hotel (which was about a 30 min bus ride). We are happy to be alive. We thought our driver was going to kill us. I promise we almost hit several cars and pedestrians- including a little boy on his bike:( I was on pins and needles until we arrived at our hotel).
There were a lot of very poor neighborhoods along the way. This was not the worst. We were going too fast to get those pictures.

In Beijing, we saw a lot of people sweeping the streets with straw brooms. This is a lady in Xining. She is not only sweeping the street but wearing some serious protective gear!!

We are kinda stuck in our hotel the rest of the day. After we checked in our guide (Peter) went to his hotel and is meeting us in the morning (9am) for our big day. No one at the hotel can speak any English. We were starving when we arrived and went to eat at the restaurant in the hotel. We ordered a peperoni pizza and ended up with a ham pizza. The ham was shaped in long rectangular squares. I managed to eat two slices, but it wasn't very good. It took us forever to explain to them that we wanted our meals charged to our room. We had about 5-6 people trying to figure our what we said.
We just sent our clothes off to be cleaned. I hope they make it back.
As far as I know ,there are no stores or American restaurants any where close to us.
There is no pool in the hotel either. Bethany was a little disappointed about that.
We are now laying around the hotel room watching Chinese TV and napping.
Will tomorrow ever come???

2 comments:

Mom 2 Four said...

Good luck tomorrow, we cannot wait to see photos of you with your daughter.

Christe

Hope for Lucy said...

Kristy

You are bringing back so many memories for us. Dont sit in the front seat of cabs...big mistake on my part. You will never forget these moments..cherish them!
I cant imagine what Anna Li is thinking as she is much older and knows exactly what is going on. But once she meets all of you and the love you show her, it will be fine. Bethany is going to make a wonderful sister. We are praying that everything goes well and that God is preparing her heart as well as you.
Food--well it didnt help for me that I didnt care of Chinese food before we left and I knew that I wasnt going to like it there also. Thank goodness for pop tarts, peanut butter and crackers and of course the gold fish and cheerios that I brought from her. Yes....if I stayed there for five or six month, I would be back to my original size. (haha). It does get better though. Once you get to the White Swan, you will be so much better. They have the most wonderful breakfast and of course there is Lucy's right down from the hotel that is so good. We ate there LOTS of times!
Please know that your family back in Alabama is praying for you and cant wait to the next update to say that Anna Li is ours!
Love you guys!
Connie
Green Party of 5ive